One dead in Mingo Junction house fire


    mingo junction fire.png

    Caution tape surrounds a home on Eleanor Street in Mingo Junction after a fire erupts early Saturday morning leaving behind a path of destruction.

    According to Jefferson County 911, fire crews were called shortly after 4 a.m. when a neighbor heard two loud explosions.

    "I actually live directly across the street. Upon getting up and getting dressed and ready to exit the house, I saw through my window that it was actually my neighbors house on Eleanor Street," said Mingo Junction Fire Chief John Wright.

    Wright says when they arrived on scene the back of the house was fully engulfed in flames, which is where they believe the fire started.

    "The fire originated on the rear porch of the structure, we believe it is possibly electrical, but they are going to leave it as undetermined at this time," said Wright.

    "While I was getting dressed to come over here I did hear an explosion and I guess there was one prior to that as well, so I think that was probably propane tanks that were on the rear porch," said Wright.

    One adult woman did pass away in the fire, along with a dog. Officials say they do believe she tried to escape, but never made it out.

    "I've known her the entire time I've lived here, 20 some years," said Wright. "Excellent neighbor, just very nice people, so it works on you, it is definitely a difficult time when you are close and you know the people."

    News In Photos

      Loading ...