Korean War soldier MIA for 65 years came home Wednesday

After nearly 7 decades, Pvt. 1st Class Roy Henderson got the homecoming he so deserved as he was brought to James Funeral Home in Follansbee on Wednesday (WTOV).

A Korean War soldier missing in action for 65 years finally came home Wednesday.

After nearly 7 decades, PFC Roy Henderson got the homecoming he so deserved as he was brought to James Funeral Home in Follansbee.

Henderson died serving our country on July 27, 1950 when his battalion came under fire, according to research.

A dedicated group made sure Henderson and his family were taken care of on this final journey back to West Virginia. The 19-year old was killed while serving in the Army during the Korean War.

Sgt. 1st Class Bradley Maston, a casualty assistance officer in Parkersburg, W.Va., was one of many helping to make his final journey one full of respect.

"It's important for us to spend that time and effort to find out what happened and bring them back home, bring that solitude, bring them back to the United States where they belong," Maston said.

A procession left James Funeral Home on Wednesday morning to meet Henderson at Pittsburgh International Airport.

Eric Fithyan, funeral director and owner, made sure all of the details were just right for the man who gave his life for our country.

"It's was just one of those things that you never expect you'll get to do in your funeral service industry, and it's just an absolute honor of a moment where you personally take your soldier into your care, out of everybody they were able to select us to do that honor for them," Fithyan said.

The Patriot Guard Riders, led by Ride Capt. Michael Whitlatch from Glen Dale, did its part to honor Henderson and support his family.

"Letting the families know they're not forgotten, there's people here that still care about our veterans, and just to show the honor and respect that these gentleman and ladies so deserve during this time," he said.

"It's a closure for the family, but not only family but also the rest of the veterans that fight on a daily basis," Maston said. "We want to see our brothers and sisters come back."

Henderson lived in Newark, Ohio and Fairmont, W.Va.

His family lives in Follansbee, which is why he will be laid to rest there.

His funeral service will be held Friday.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off