MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Teenager saves family in Marshall County house fire

wtov.PNG

Crews responded to an early morning structure fire along Diamond Street on Sunday in Moundsville.

Before the residents could even call for help it was a 17-year-old girl who saved her family.

“She just kept it cool and really was the hero,” Debbie Woods said.

The fire started soon after 3:00 a.m. Sunday while all four residents of the home were sleeping.

17-year-old Jade Givens heard a sound and opened her bedroom door.

“She came out of her room, the smoke got to her, she dropped to the floor, went up and got her little brother. They came back to the room, they busted the windows out in her bedroom,” Woods said.

After breaking the window, Givens could help her 10-year-old brother Zane out of the window to find help for the three people still inside the house, Givens, her 2-year-old son, and her mom Dana.

“They came out and she tossed the baby out. She got out and went around the trailer trying to get her mom up because my daughter didn't hear them,” Woods said.

This time it was a neighbor Jimmy Duerr who broke down the side door and was able to help.

“I want to thank that guy that got my daughter out, if it wasn't for him, she wouldn't have got out,” Woods said.

Woods says her granddaughter is considered a hero now, thanks to skills she learned in school.

“She said she was taught in school if you get in smoke, you drop and crawl. She said I remembered it grandma and I just had to do what I had to do,”

The Moundsville Police Department, Moundsville fire and volunteer fire departments all responded to the fire.

The family says they believe the fire started in the kitchen but the fire remains under investigation.

The family was renting the home and does not have insurance to help pay for the damages or to help rebuild their life.

However, they are thankful for their safety and know things can be replaced.

If you would like to help the family you can call the grandmother Debbie Woods at (304)-238-4734 or visit the link below.

https://www.gofundme.com/smy55-fire-loss

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending