Special Advertiser Content
7 Shocking Facts About Distracted Driving That Will Blow Your Mind
Most people know that distracted driving is dangerous, but few realize the extent of the risk it poses. Here are a few stats to give you a glimpse of the big picture.
• Texting increases your collision by a factor of 23 – you’re 23 times more likely to get in a crash if you’re texting
• If you’re driving 55mph and you take your eyes off the road for 5 seconds, you can cover the length of a football field
• At any given moment during the day, roughly 542,000 drivers in the U.S. are manipulating electronic devices while driving
• That means that roughly 6.9% of vehicles on the road are being manned by a driver using some sort of phone (that includes both handheld and hands-free devices)
• Teens who text and drive spend roughly 10% of their time on the road outside their own lane
• People admit to engaging in a variety of distracted driving behaviors including brushing and flossing their teeth, applying makeup, singing and dancing, smoking, reading, taking selfies, changing clothes, changes drivers and putting in contact lenses
• One survey respondent reported seeing someone driving and playing a guitar at the same time
It’s not surprising that people choose to drive while distracted, but the associated risks and consequences are truly startling. To avoid these risks, embrace a simple solution that will help keep you, your passengers and those with whom you share the road safe: keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel. This message is proudly sponsored by WMC Tri-State Medical Network.